Breaking the Silence Around Abortion: How online communities, campaigns and storytelling can challenge abortion-related stigma
Do you work in the field of sexual and reproductive health and rights, particularly on stigmatized topics such as abortion?
Are you looking for new ways to engage with your online communities and communicate key messages?
Are you interested in developing creative campaigns that mobilize broader audiences through storytelling?
Sign up for our free online workshop series!
Date: February 20-24
Time: 3pm CET
Sign up HERE!
Abortion is one of the most controversial topics in the sexual and reproductive health and rights field, where abortion-related stigma hinders open discussion, movement building, advocacy and campaigning for the expansion of access to safe and legal abortion services. Every year millions of women, adolescents, and girls around the world, especially in developing regions, are either treated for complications or die as a result of unsafe abortions. In addition, rising global political conservatism worldwide poses an increasingly grave challenge to both local and international efforts to increase public awareness about this issue, while also shaming and silencing both women seeking abortions and service providers.
This workshop aims to raise awareness about different communication strategies for SRHR issues, especially for access to safe and legal abortion services. We will also illustrate the importance of creating strong and engaged online communities that include not only SRHR advocates, but also a broader audience, in order to strengthen abortion-related advocacy and activism activities. This workshop will also demonstrate how strong stories and messaging can persuade and ultimately contribute to a positive shift in attitudes surrounding SRHR issues.
Join us for this free online workshop to:
- Learn about safe abortion advocacy communication strategies
- Understand communication strategies and tools for abortion advocacy
- Identify the different contexts and audiences in order to cater and package abortion advocacy messages accordingly
- Learn how to build and maintain an online community using a strong and creative social media and digital strategy
- Gain insights into campaigning best practices
- Learn more about the importance of storytelling to create compelling media messages that mobilize other advocates and members of the general public around SRHR issues
- Based on real examples, we will give you insights into how advocates and organizations are using digital strategies and storytelling mechanisms to create supportive online communities around SRHR issues.
Profile Of Participants:
- Activists, advocates or members of organizations that work in the field of SRHR issues and / or women’s rights.
- Priority will be given to people who work in safe and legal abortion services and/or advocacy fields.
- Ability to understand, speak and write in English.
- Good Internet connection and access to a computer
- Understanding of social media platforms
The workshop will consist of 3 sessions of 1 hour each:
- Digital, social media, communication and engagement strategy to create online communities – Monday February 20 3pm CET
- Campaigning on stigmatized issues – Wednesday February 22 3pm CET
- Story-telling and persuasive communication – Friday February 24 3pm CET
A certificate will be provided at the end to those who attend and successfully participate in all classes and assignments.
Homework per session will take approximately 1 hour.
20 spots available!
For inquiries and registration please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Can’t make it this time? Sign up and we’ll send you the recordings and materials once they’re ready.
This online course is a follow-up to the “Step into Our Stories, Step Into Our Shoes” 2016 campaign for September 28, Global Day of Action for Access to Safe and Legal Abortion, and will be hosted by WGNRR, Love Matters / RNW Media and RNTC.