WGNRR Africa Regional Office
Address: 5th Floor, Ngome Holding House, TRA Road, Kijitonyama Area
P.O. BOX 75501, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Vision & Mission
WGNRR Africa envisages an Africa where all people can fulfil their sexual and reproductive rights.
Our mission is to build and strengthen movements for sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR) and justice. Our work is grounded in the realities of those who most lack economic, social and political power. Through critical analysis and strategic actions, we connect members and allies, build knowledge, organize campaigns and share resources.
Who We Are
- An independent regional network established under the auspices of WGNRR registered under the Tanzania NGO legislation.
- A membership network of more than 200 grassroots based organizations in more than 27 African countries mobilizing, empowering and uniting Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) for the advancement of Sexual and Reproductive Rights (SRHR) for everyone.
- We believe that the human rights of women include their right to have control over and decide freely and responsibly on matters related to their sexuality, including sexual and reproductive health, free of coercion, discrimination and violence. Equal relationships between women and men in matters of sexual relations and reproduction, including full respect for the integrity of the person, require mutual respect, consent and shared responsibility for sexual behaviour and its consequences
What We Do
- Mobilize, unite and capacitate CSOs in Africa so that they can advocate and campaign for the advancement of SRHR for all.
- Support CSOs to influence the implementation of regional and international HR agreements such as the Maputo protocol, ICPD, Beijing Platform for action and the sustainable development goals.
- Encourage and support active participation of CSOs in the SRHR social movements with a coherent strategy for connecting local, regional and global actions.
- Advise Governments on the formulation of policies and strategies to foster women’s SRHR, social economic empowerment, and promote other women rights for their wellbeing.
- Collaborate nationally, regionally and internationally with other organizations, individuals and allies with similar vision on national and regional SRHR campaigns.
- Provide technical support through expert consultancies for programs aiming to empower women and girls in and out of school on comprehensive sexuality education, and many other SRHR issues such as preventing unwanted pregnancies, safe abortion, HIV and AIDS awareness, maternal mortality and morbidity, and bodily integrity and autonomy and how they relate to human rights. For more information on WGNRR Africa consultancies, please contact us here.
Where We Work & Our Key Achievements in the Region
We work across Africa, where to date we’ve provided in-country support in Tanzania, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Kenya, Uganda, and Nigeria, including:
- Establishing and providing ongoing support to 6 coalitions working on advocacy for safe abortion, young people’s SRHR, access to contraceptives, and the SRHR of women living with HIV
- Capacity strengthening of over 107 community and national based CSOs on research and policy analysis; rights-based advocacy and using human rights frameworks; advocacy strategy development; and strategic communications on SRHR advocacy
- Supporting local coalitions and partners in undertaking over 5 SRHR campaigns, including for access to safe and legal abortion
- Fostering cross-regional and strategizing between SRHR advocates across Africa
WGNRR is actively seeking partnerships to enable us to further scale up our Africa based activities.
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org